August 18, 2020
DIY Healthy Ice Cream Alternatives
Summer heat can be hard to beat, but there’s one thing that everyone loves to eat as a cool-down treat—ice cream! Here are some delicious, healthy ice cream recipes to try:
Coconut Avocado Ice Cream
- 3 ripe medium-size Hass Avocados, pitted and skinned
- 1 can 15 ounces of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (3.5 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rum
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut toasted (as garnish)
- Puree avocados in a food processor until smooth for 10-15 seconds.
- Add coconut milk, heavy cream, sugar, rum, salt, and lime juice. Process until blended for 20-30 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and cover it with saran wrap. Let it chill thoroughly in the fridge.
- Once cooled, churn the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place ice cream in an airtight container and freeze until firm.
- Garnish with toasted coconut and serve.
Dairy-Free Oreo Ice Cream
- 12 Oreo cookies
- 1-pint dairy-free vanilla ice cream (softened slightly)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons vanilla soy milk
- Using your hands, crumble 10 Oreos. Set aside the last 2. (Note: Don’t over-crumble cookies as they will break more when you combine them with the ice cream.)
- Using a wooden spoon, mix all ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Ensure the oreo breaks down to make the ice cream a grey color, while not over mixing, so there are still chunks of cookie in the ice cream.
- Chill in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Garnish with the two leftover Oreos.